In today's author profile, we're pleased to feature Chris Reher, author of Only Human, The Gods of Chenoweth, and other science fiction novels!
I am a first generation Canadian currently and out of necessity residing on planet Earth. In various biographies on book sites, I usually make some sort of comment about living in outer space. While obviously and entirely untrue, it does point to the fact that I’ve always found this planet Earth limiting. Too much gravity. Too much *normal*. There has to be something bigger than laundry and elections and who gets voted off the island.
When writing fiction, I have always left this planet to see what else, what *more* , is out there. Conveniently, it’s easy to simply make things up since there isn’t anyone around to dispute my findings. The law of physics can usually be circumvented in some fashion and people can come together in interesting and exciting ways not possible here on Earth.
My harshest review comment was one that accused my aliens of being too Human. Harsh, but true and entirely on purpose. Gene Roddenberry had it right when he insisted that his Star Trek aliens have eyes and mouths. No matter how exotic, if a reader/viewer cannot relate to an alien on some human level I may as well be writing about amoebas. On Earth.
And so, my current project is a Space Opera series about a distant part of this galaxy where a strand of our DNA, placed there by some mysterious means, has given rise to a variety of humanoid species. This thread carries along the adventures of Nova Whiteside, a Union pilot who isn’t as tough and infallible as you’d expect a space hero to be and who lets her passions do daily battle with her regimented life as soldier.
*Only Human* is currently available at Amazon and has been very well received. *The Catalyst* will be available in January. The third book in the series will hopefully be out in March.
I also wrote *The Gods Of Chenoweth*, a darker fantasy about the abuse of authority.
When not inventing improbable laser guns and poking into wormholes, I am a web designer and write non-fiction. In the past I’ve edited a movie review magazine and corresponded about the US art publishing market.
Frankly, taking a space ship through Trans-Targon is much more fun.
Only Human http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009QAIRT6/?tag=kboards-20
The Gods of Chenoweth http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008XRZUWK/?tag=kboards-20
Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/MissQuiss
Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6475056.Chris_Reher

No comments:
Post a Comment