Today's tip: I want to share my Kindle with my kids. But how do I keep them from accessing inappropriate content? This question comes from KB member TexasGirl: "I have a classic Kindle 2. Over the summer I bought a book for my 5th grader to read, and now she is taking the Kindle to school for her reading time until she finishes that book.
"Problem: I have several hundred books on there and many are terribly inappropriate for her to be taking to school."
What to do?
Our forum members weigh in with a detailed discussion about ways to manage this. Here's a summary:
- Moving the inappropriate books to a subtly-named Collection, and setting the Home page to Collections mode is one suggestion. This removes the books from being displayed in the Home Page listing. However, the books remain easily accessed, so this is not an ideal solution.
- Removing the books from the Kindle, while keeping them available in your Archive, is one step better. KB member Analog explains how to do this efficiently if you have many books to move to Archive. Note, though, that your child would still be able to retrieve the books from Archive, if they have wireless access.
- Other members suggested buying your child the basic Kindle (currently $79) and then being watchful of which books they download from Archives. (This is the method my family uses, as each of my daughters has their own Kindles, and all of them are tied to our single Amazon account.)
- Another alternative is to provide the child their own Kindle and their own Amazon account... but that also is complicated in that the account needs to be tied to a credit card. But this approach completely separates their Kindle content from any content that you have purchased.
Thanks to our KindleBoards members for the tip! Find more useful tidbits in our Tips, Tricks and Troubleshooting board!
No comments:
Post a Comment