Heads up: Saving Hallowe'en will be free on Amazon on October 31st!
I enlisted help from a group of young readers in critiquing my latest manuscript. This was easy to do. I only had to ask my 5th grader’s teachers to find some kids interested in reading the first 20 pages of my soon-to-be published story Saving Halloween and in answering 4-5 questions. Did I mention I offered them cookies as well?
Why did I embark on this venture? I’ve written of the agent critique I received at a recent conference. I ascertained two main concerns from the critique and I believed I had addressed them. However, in showing them to my adult critique group, I got a couple comments like, “I wonder what an 11-year old would think?”
Good question. I’ve decided to ask. Consumer product companies do this all the time — test the product. Since I shied away from this part of my business studies (marketing in general) I needed to think carefully about how to do it. I didn’t want to lead my readers. I wanted good, unbiased information.
I admit, I broke my rule: Never ask for critique from someone you feed. I did mention cookies above, didn’t I? Well, I’m tried getting around that by asking the readers to write down their thoughts in the privacy of their own homes – prior to our breakout session where I offered cookies.
Here's how I structured the testing:
I solicited 5th graders at my son’s school and 8 responded (6 girls and 2 boys). I dropped off a packet for each that included:
- an introductory letter from me explaining the effort,
- a selection of book jacket blurbs,
- the first 21 pages (4 chapters) and
- a list of 5 questions
It worked. This month I was pleased to learn that Saving Halloween won a 2012 Kay Snow Writing Award for Young Readers. It's available on Kindle now!

No comments:
Post a Comment