Friday, October 25, 2013

Free and bargain Kindle book! (Friday Oct 25)

An Innocent Client (Joe Dillard Series No. 1), by Scott Pratt. (Still 0.99?)

"AN INNOCENT CLIENT is an impressive legal thriller debut. If you enjoy the work of John Grisham, you might like this one too, since it's written in a similar style. This novel takes place in rural Tennessee, and stars Joe Dillard, a burnt out criminal defense lawyer who hopes to represent at least one innocent client before he retires. When the novel opens, he is seemingly handed such a client, an 18-year old waitress at a strip club who is accused of murdering a fundamentalist preacher. The book moves along quickly, always keeping your interest and has a very satisfactory ending. I would highly recommend it and look forward to reading more of his books." -- Amazon reviewer

A preacher is found brutally murdered in a Tennessee motel room.

A beautiful, mysterious young girl is accused.

In this bestselling debut, criminal defense lawyer Joe Dillard has become jaded over the years as he's tried to balance his career against his conscience. Savvy but cynical, Dillard wants to quit doing criminal defense, but he can't resist the chance to represent someone who might actually be innocent. His drug-addicted sister has just been released from prison and his mother is succumbing to Alzheimer's, but Dillard's commitment to the case never wavers despite the personal troubles and professional demands that threaten to destroy him.

"Pratt's richly developed characters are vivid and believable, especially the strong Southern women who fight their male-dominated culture from behind a facade of vulnerability in this brilliantly executed debut." -- Publisher's Weekly

"It’s Scott Turow and Grisham... The opening chapter is maybe the most compelling I’ve read in a decade.” – Ken Bruen

Smart and sophisticated, with a plot twist that will leave you shaking your head in wonder, "An Innocent Client" -- the first in the acclaimed Joe Dillard series -- will also leave you begging for more.

372 pages, with a 4.4-star rating from 728 reviews.

USA United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Japan Italy Brazil Mexico



Free today!

Fissured (The Pipe Woman Chronicles), by Lynne Cantwell. (Still free?)

"Love these characters! I read the first book and obviously enjoyed it enough to read the second in this series. I have now decided that I really, REALLY like theses characters. While I read the book, I felt as if i knew these people, and I wanted to be friends with them. I still want them to invite me to be part of their lives. I want to linger over a cup of tea with them. For me, the most important element in any story is how I feel about the characters. I don't always have to like them, I just have to care about what's going on with them in the story. Lynne Cantwell has not only written some good characters, she has made the actual characters the biggest reason I keep coming back. This second book has not only cemented the feeling that I had upon finishing the first book inasmuch as I had a feeling I was being hypnotized by their charms, but also by their faults and quirks. I cannot wait for the third book!" -- Amazon reviewer

If anything can go wrong…

It’s not bad enough that Naomi Witherspoon is second-guessing her relationship with her new boyfriend, Ute shapeshifter Joseph Curtis. Now she’s been attacked by a jaguar in downtown Denver. And somebody has built a hydraulic fracturing operation down the road from their friend Charlie’s ranch. An independent filmmaker named Jack Rivers has conveniently appeared, and is documenting Charlie’s problems with the fracking operation. Naomi thinks Jack might be the Investigator – the fourth member of the team a Lakota Indian goddess set up to help Naomi broker peace between Jehovah and the pagan pantheons – but Jack seems more interested in causing trouble among Naomi, Joseph, and her best friend Shannon, than in helping out their team.
When the operator of the fracking facility turns out to be an old acquaintance, Naomi begins to wonder how many Tricksters it takes to make a divine deal….

165 pages, with a 4.6-star rating from 7 reviews.

USA United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Japan Italy Brazil Mexico



Moby-Dick: A BabyLit® Ocean Primer (Baby Lit), by Jennifer Adams. (Still 1.99?)

BabyLit is a fashionable way to introduce your toddler to the world of classic literature. With clever, simple text by Jennifer Adams, paired with stylish design and illustrations by Sugar's Alison Oliver, these books are a must for every savvy parent's nursery library.




11 pages, with a -star rating from reviews.

USA United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Japan Italy Brazil Mexico



Burned: A New Adult Love Story, by Krista Lakes. (Still 0.99?)

"Loved this book! Wow, this book was a real tear jerker! I loved how Andrew treated Holly like a princess, and I definitely loved the dynamics of their relationship. Holly's plan came together perfectly, even if she needed an actual fire to fan the flames of love. I hope Ms. Lakes writes a sequel." -- Amazon reviewer


Sometimes the deepest burns are hidden from view...
All 20 year old Holly ever wanted to do was escape the boring Colorado mountain town where she was born. However, when she arrived at college, she found herself having too many wild nights. Worse yet, she had one too many mornings of waking up in an unfamiliar bed, and she couldn't keep her scholarship. Now that's she's back in Conifer, she has no idea what she is going to do with her life and no hope for the future.

Andrew's father died a couple years ago in an electrical accident, and while Andrew wants nothing more than to leave town, his mother's mental instability makes it impossible for him to go. He feels trapped in a no-win situation and his options are slipping away.

When a mutual friend has a crisis, Holly comes up with a plan, a plan that will change all their lives for the better. She knows that, despite previously being burned, all it takes to start a fire is a spark. However, she realizes that once again, she may have stood too close to the flame, and the torch she carries for Andrew burns brighter than ever.

Will Holly manage to rekindle old loves, or will the destructive fire in their hearts consume everything they hold dear?



This book was previously sold as "Fire Always Burns" and has received editing and some additional content.


Andrew's brows pushed together for a moment as he watched me, then with a shake of his head, he moved behind me and wrapped his arms around me. The heat was instantaneous and not just from his arms. His cologne filled my nostrils, his body felt strong and warm behind me. I knew I should break away, to just deal with the cold rather than let myself experience these feelings stirring within me, but I couldn't. I wanted to be close to him. I wanted to feel him touch me.

The lights in the Lake House dimmed and slowly turned off, the darkness enveloping us. I looked up to the heavens, feeling his breath on my neck. The stars twinkled in the clear sky, constellations and planets glimmering in their eternal dance. A splash of light illuminated the sky, followed by another and another. Colors exploded against the stars, streaming fire from the sky. The crowed oohed and ahhed as the night sky was filled with color.

I barely noticed the colors flooding the sky because my attention was on Andrew. His arms held me tightly, his warmth seeping into me and making my body ache for something I knew I could never have. I let myself believe for a moment, one beautiful moment, that this could work. That we could be more than friends. That I could kiss him, touch him, have him. That I could surrender myself to him and not be afraid of the consequences.

The sky was aflame with color for a glorious instant, then only streams of sparkling smoke and twinkling stars remained. The booms still echoed through the night, a rolling thunder following the man-made lightning. I turned my head slowly, feeling Andrew's breath along my cheek. His lips were so close to mine that I could almost feel them. I wanted to taste those lips, red and open just centimeters from mine. He leaned in closer.

His lips were soft against mine. I wanted to merge into him, to never leave this moment. He tasted sweet, like cocoa and sunshine. My heart thudded with happy excitement and I pressed in closer.

The lights in the Lake house turned on, flooding the deck with artificial light. The moment was broken, and Andrew dropped his hands quickly to his sides, releasing me. In the harsh light, I couldn't believe I had kissed him. I pulled my hat down low on my head, feeling my cheeks burn. I couldn't look at him so instead I put my hands on the balcony, hoping he didn't see how badly they shook.

143 pages, with a 4.3-star rating from 14 reviews.

USA United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Japan Italy Brazil Mexico



"Like" our Facebook page so you never miss a bargain e-book!

Free and Bargain Kindle books, delivered to your inbox:
Subscribe today to our daily e-mail!

(We save you time by curating our selections of bargain books. We filter out books with a less than 4-star rating, or have few reviews. We exclude books that are merely teasers, and generally exclude those that are less than 100 pages in length. Your time is valuable and we strive to find quality for you in your bargain e-books!)

No comments:

Post a Comment