Saturday, January 4, 2014

Kindle Fire Free App of the Day: Dominoes and Bonus App: TrustGo Antivirus Software

Today's Free App of the Day is Dominoes
Originally $2.99


This is a poorly reviewed Dominoes game. On top of the poor reviews for unreadable tiles and poor movement, I received a malware alert from my antivirus software (TrustGo): This app is able to archive payment via SMS messages. Recommendation: Uninstall. For testing purposes, I went ahead and installed it briefly. It has very small tiles, but the game I played was very readable. It did seem like it ignored my available moves one round. At any rate, I uninstalled it and removed it from my cloud based on the security alert.

16 of 34 reviews are four stars and above.

So we have a bonus pick: Antivirus and Mobile Security.


I've included the anti-virus I use on my Fire HDX as the bonus app. It's free, well reviewed and no subscription required. It'll scan apps on the device, scan apps as they are installed, you can use it to monitor your data use and available battery and memory, have it check websites you're browsing, track the permissions used by apps, backup your contact data and locate your device or protect personal data if you lose your device. 

The one star reviews talk about the difficulty of uninstalling it. I was able to uninstall it with no problem. Not sure if there's something in settings that gets set, but I haven't found it. Nor did I find excessive battery use as one review said. I've been very happy with this--it's caught things and doesn't require a subscription. You don't have to register to use it--you can skip that screen--the registration allows you to back up data to their website and use the "find my device" option.

127 of 148 reviews are four stars and above.


These apps are compatible with the original Fire and with my Fire HD 8.9" 4G. To tell if an app works for your Fire HD or other Android device registered to your Amazon account, click on the above link and look on the right side of the web page.  Amazon will tell you if it will work with your registered device.

Have fun!

Also check out the other digital deals from Amazon, including great deals on MP3s and videos:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment