Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Author profile: Matthew Iden

In today's author profile, we're pleased to feature Matthew Iden, writer of fantasy, science fiction, horror, thrillers, crime fiction, and contemporary literary fiction with a psychological twist.

It's no crime to follow in the footsteps of great writers when you start your own writing journey and when I set out to create my own crime fiction series, I knew I had some great mentors in the Robert B. Parkers and Lee Childs and Robert Crais's of the world.

But when I actually set my fingers to the keyboard, I found that I couldn't make my guy just like their guys. Something didn't feel right.

At first, I thought I was the problem. I mean, some of the best minds in the crime fiction business had handed me a perfect blueprint. Their heroes landed in bed with beautiful women, got the grudging respect of tough guys everywhere, and were beloved by dogs and babies. Blessed with photographic memories, black belts in karate, and deadly accuracy with guns, these heroes steamrolled over every bad guy in their path. They were strong, good looking, cynical, funny, smart, unbeatable--

And that's when I knew the problem wasn't with me.

I love to read books with invincible heroes but I'm not sure I can ever write one. It's when I finally relaxed and dropped the invincibility complex that I met Marty Singer, the main character in A Reason to Live, Blueblood, and the forthcoming Signs. He's a retired Homicide cop from Washington, DC with a wry sense of humor and a pretty good punch, but he's uncomfortable around his own emotions, has a rough love life, and he's retired because he's battling a life-threatening disease. None of this stops him from saving the day, but he does so in spite of his character flaws, not because of them.

Someday, maybe, I'll sit down and write a book about an ex-CIA operative who plays classical oboe on weekends and dates supermodels--when he's not teaching ballroom dance and winning judo competitions, of course. But, until then, I'll keep writing about Marty. He's as close to being a real, breathing human being as a fictional character can get…and he's living just the kind of story I wanted to write.

___

Marty debuted in A Reason to Live, continues his adventures in Blueblood, and keeps the story going in Signs (upcoming).

Keep up with me at http://matthew-iden.com or my Goodreads hangout, http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5313211.Matthew_Iden.


1 comment:

  1. I don't see you listed on Fantistic Fiction or What's Next sites - you should get posted there!!

    ReplyDelete