Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Interview with Erica Lucke Dean, author of "Suddenly Sorceress"

Today, we're pleased to welcome author Erica Lucke Dean. We last spoke with Erica about her saucy romance, "To Katie With Love," which debuted last year. "Katie" was met with delighted reviews from readers and many requests to see more from this author. Those wishes are now fulfilled, as Ericka's sophomore novel - "Suddenly Sorceress" - has recently been released.

Suddenly Sorceress is a charmer and sure to find a wide audience amongst readers of romance and fun paranormals. Here's the book's teaser:

PMS can be a real witch.

Ivie McKie isn’t your run-of-the-mill kindergarten teacher. After an encounter with a horny goat, Ivie has a confrontation with her lying, cheating fiancĂ©. She is shocked when the big jerk suddenly transforms into a skunk—the black and white furry variety.

Enlisting the help of her shopaholic friend Chloe and sexy club magician Jackson Blake, Ivie is forced to play a literal game of cat and mouse as she races against the clock to change her ex back before she’s arrested for his murder.

With every new spell, a fresh wave of sexual desire draws Jack further into Ivie’s troubles, along with her panties, the car, the kitchen, and assorted seedy bathrooms.

Ivie soon discovers what every witch worth her spell book knows: There’s nothing worse than a bad case of Post Magical Syndrome.


Suddenly Sorceress had us "suddenly smiling" throughout its pages as Ivie deals hilariously with her cheating ex-fiance, her girlfriends, her dashing love interests, and her mysterious newfound powers. Read on for our interview with author Erica Lucke Dean! And don't forget to check out the blog tour prizes at the end of this post.

Like To Katie With Love, this new novel is a lighthearted romance, full of twists and turns, and a perfect blend of action and steamy scenes. What did you learn in writing your first novel that found its way into Suddenly Sorceress?

I actually wrote my first novel ten years before starting To Katie With Love. And my style has most definitely evolved since then. By the time I started Suddenly Sorceress, I think I’d found my voice and perhaps developed that quirky style that’s all me. Of course, we learn something new every time, don’t we?

Yes, indeed! And speaking of something new, Suddenly Sorceress has a magical theme. Did you find any new challenges in writing the story's paranormal elements?

I did have to do some actual research for this one. There is an entire magical community that takes this stuff pretty seriously, so I wanted to make sure I was staying true to that. For example, the lunar cycles and the sorts of spells one can perform during each. Once I’d determined what I could and couldn’t do within those parameters, I let myself go.

Your cast of zany and memorable characters -- even the secondary players -- adds to the richness of the novel. How do you go about creating a likable character?

I think I just create characters I’d want to hang out with. Who wouldn’t love to spend time with Chloe? She totally rocks. And she could give me some pointers on my wardrobe. And as for Jack -- I love him. My husband is lucky that Jack is just a figment of my imagination.

You live on a small hobby farm in Georgia. May we presume that the "horny goat" incident in the book was inspired by real-life events?

Have you ever had to fend off a 180lb dog in the throes of passion? LOL. I’m kidding. Sort of. I did have several pigs that found me somewhat appealing. But no, I’ve yet to become the object of a goat’s affection. Ask me again this spring after we get our baby goats.

We loved the scene where Ivie unintentionally lands a curse on her unfaithful fiance. What were some of your favorite scenes to write?

I loved writing the scenes between Ivie and Chloe. The witty banter makes me smile every time. And the scenes with Ivie and her mom. And the scenes with Ivie and Jack. Do I really have to pick a favorite?

We won't force you! In the story, Ivie becomes a suspect in Matthew's disappearance -- and her attempts to unravel the spells and clear her name make for an engaging plot. How did you go about plotting out the storyline for the novel?

Well, I thought to myself… wouldn’t it be cool if I could turn my ex into a woodland creature? Then my mind went down that road of what would happen if someone thought I’d offed him. They’d come after me for his murder. So I decided messing around with dark magic was probably a bad idea for me… but what if I created a character who could do that? And there you have it!

In the basement scene, Ivie starts to learn how to control her strange new powers. It is a transformative moment for her. Can you give our readers a little teaser to set up that scene?

I’m so glad you mentioned that scene. It is a major moment where Ivie realizes she can control her powers. Up to that point, she’s only had spotty luck with her magic, but in the basement, Jack leads her to the discovery that she can harness that sexual energy running through her at all times.

Ivie's magic is tied to her biological rhythms (ahem), and her body starts going through physical changes each time she uses her magic. Those scenes were hilarious, and we can empathize with Ivie's discomfort. What inspired the idea of having Ivie's PMS serve as the basis for her magical abilities?

I’ve written a lot of blog posts under the influence of PMS, and they seem to be some of my most popular posts. I’ve often said I can’t be held responsible for anything I say or do during PMS, so why not take that a step further? PMS really is a witch, you know.

One of our favorite parts of To Katie With Love was the subtle twist in the closing chapter, and so we really appreciated the ingenious surprises towards the end of this book. Did you have those twists planned out early in the writing?

Yes and no. Sometimes I think those twists come from my subconscious. And there’s always more than one. The final twist in this book didn’t come to me until the very end. And then I was like…”I’m brilliant!” I surprise myself sometimes. LOL

The cover is perfect -- it conveys the mysterious but good-humored tone of the book so well. How did the cover come to be?

Streetlight Graphics took this little image I’d picked out and ran with it. They really do create some brilliant covers, and I couldn’t be happier.

This is your second novel published through Red Adept Publishing. In what ways did that experience differ from your first novel?

The process itself was roughly the same. But having been through it before, I think I was more prepared for each step. Perhaps more anxious because I knew what was coming around each corner, and I’m a control freak at heart. So the desire to know what’s happening at all times is overwhelming. LOL. But overall, I’ve enjoyed the process. I’m very happy with Red Adept.

Bloggers and reviewers have been praising the book enthusiastically. As the book is discovered by its recent new readers, have any of their reactions surprised you? What has been your most memorable reader moment?

I absolutely love when people tell me their favorite moments. The things that made them laugh, or cry (mostly from laughing), or even what didn’t work for them. So it was amazing when one blogger actually recorded herself laughing and sent that to me. She snorted and wanted me to hear it.

It was great.

That's a unique response from that blogger! Looking ahead... will be seeing any more of Ivie in future books?

I’m actually deep in the middle of the second book now. The Sorcerer’s Daughter. I’m hoping to have it finished by summer (nagging is always appreciated as it pushes me when I get lazy.) If that one works out, there might even be one more. I love these characters and I’m not looking forward to saying goodbye to them. So naturally that means I have to keep them going, right?

Yes, you do, and we're pleased to hear it. We really enjoyed Suddenly Sorceress! Thanks for talking with us about it!

Thank you so much for hosting me today. I’ve had a blast!

Suddenly Sorceress is available now to download to your Kindle!
a Rafflecopter giveaway

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for hosting me today. I had fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! We're looking forward to more of your writing and to future interviews.

      Delete