Thursday, December 4, 2014

Today's Amazon Fire Free App of the Day: My Recipes plus Bonus App!

Today's Free App of the Day is My Recipes
Originally $2.99


This is a very nice recipe app. You can't bulk import recipes from your favorite sites--if you have a recipe box at a site, for example, but you can easily add a recipe right from many web pages that I tried. Visit the recipe's web page using your Fire's browser. Tap on the menu icon and select Share and then My Recipes. Recipes from Pioneer Woman, Tasty Kitchen and AllRecipes imported flawlessly with ingredients in the proper place.

A favorite recipe for Fish Tacos from Martha Stewart's website had mixed results--the picture and title imported but the text didn't--but was easily pasted in. Recipes from Cooks.com would not import. :(

 You can't print out recipes or grocery lists :( but you can send grocery lists via email to yourself and then print it. If I could print grocery lists from this, it would be close to perfect. Or export as a text file to import into another app. You can also paste a recipe URL in from within the app to add a recipe.

 You can create shopping lists from your recipes and save shopping lists (for example, I created a Thanksgiving shopping list as we typically have the same dishes every year. You can save your recipe file to Dropbox to be accessed via the web, so you can access your recipes from the browser on other devices. The developer says the ability to import from other popular websites will be added over time. You may want to pick this one up now so that you'll have it with the upgrades.

Overall I like the look of the recipes on this app. If the import worked a little better over a few more sites, it would be a strong four star app; five star if I could print out grocery lists. There are some one-star reviews that I found to not be true, so it's better than the review average would indicate. One of the reviewers recommended another app, which I already own but had never tried out. So that app is our KBAAD* today.

20 of 34 reviews are four stars and above.

So we have a bonus pick: My CookBook.

This app is very similar to the My Recipes App, but with a few more capabilities. One thing I really like about it is you can search for a type of recipe--say sweet potato casserole--within the app, get a Google list of recipes, select one and import. You can even specify the website you want to search. It sucessfully imported from all of the sites I asked for, including Martha Stewart and Cooks.com I liked it well enough that I bought the ad-free version--currenlty $3.61 but you get 108 coins back, making the effective cost $2.53.



My CookBook Pro (Ad Free)

 The ads are not intrusive. Both apps will work in either landscape or portrait mode. 97 of 137 reviews are four stars and above.

These apps are compatible with the original Fire and with my Fire HD 8.9" 4G. To tell if an app works for your Fire HD or other Android device registered to your Amazon account, click on the above link and look on the right side of the web page.  Amazon will tell you if it will work with your registered device.

Have fun!

Also check out the other digital deals from Amazon, including great deals on MP3s and videos:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment