Wednesday, December 17, 2014

"The Purgatorium," by Eva Pohler

From accomplished author Eva Pohler comes this highly-praised page-turner. Described by its readers as "clever," "spine-chilling," and "amazing," Purgatorium is the first in a series, with book 2 available further on in this post. Read on!

The Purgatorium: Purgatorium Series, Book One (The Purgatorium Series 1), by Eva Pohler
Price: $0.99
298 pages, with a 4.4-star rating from 32 reviews

"Incredibly exciting from the first page, this story instantly grabs your attention, pulling you into the most deliciously dark and bewitching tale. The detailed history and mythology of the Island adds depth and realism to the surreal storyline, making you really `think' and put yourself in the place of each character {including Daphne}. The paranormal edge not only captured my interest but the chilling, creepy ambience and unnerving feel had me sat on the edge of my seat throughout. This is certainly a YA horror novel that will have the hairs on the backs of your arms standing up and which will send shivers down your spine, as the drama builds to the most terrifying, electrifying climatic end." -- Amazon reviewer

Seventeen year-old Daphne Janus is floored when her parents agree to let her accompany her best friend to a getaway resort on an island off the coast of California. She doesn't know her parents have sent her to the Purgatorium as a last-ditch effort to save their child.

Her best friend and life-long neighbor takes her to a mostly uninhabited island with a wildlife preserve on one side and Chumash Indian ruins on the “haunted” side. The resort might be beautiful, the beach pristine, and the views from the headland amazing, but strange things begin to happen that soon have Daphne running for her life. At first she finds the therapeutic games thrilling: the ghosts that visit her room, the dropping elevator, and the kayak incident are actually kind of fun once she recovers from them. But when her horse bucks her off during a trail ride and she becomes lost on the haunted side of the island, it’s not fun anymore, and she wonders if her parents have sent her there to help her or to punish her.

Get this KB Spotlight book!

Worldwide links: USA United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Japan Italy Brazil India Mexico



Customer Reviews



Online Sample


Get this KB Spotlight book!


Meet the Author

I write fiction for teens and adults and teach writing and literature at a university in San Antonio, where I live with my husband, three kids, and two dogs. I'm also an avid reader. I've always said I never want to give up reading for writing or vice versa. I want to do both. My favorite authors are J.K. Rowling, Tracy Chevalier, Ann Patchett, Suzanne Collins, Barbara Kingsolver, Cassandra Clare, and Stephanie Meyer. I have too many to name, but those are a handful of them.

I love to interact with readers and have recently added features to my website at http://www.evapohler.com with this in mind. If you email me your art and/or stories based on The Gatekeeper's Saga, or on Greek mythology in general, I will post them on my website for others to enjoy. You will also fins a short video on the Olympians and a fun Jeopardy Game to test your knowledge. If you enjoy quizzes, you can download a free app to test your knowledge of The Gatekeeper's Saga.

Thanks for taking the time to read about me and my writing!

More from this Author


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for providing this well-written feature! I'm very pleased.

    ReplyDelete