Saturday, April 26, 2014

Kindle Fire Free App of the Day: Audubon Mammals: A Field Guide to North American Mammals

Today's Free App of the Day is Audubon Mammals: A Field Guide to North American Mammals
Originally $3.99


I have several of the Audubon apps on my iPad, and am delighted to see this come available for the Fire. It's a nice app, one can view animals by shape or family, so if you're not sure what you saw, you have a good chance of figuring it out. Most of the reviews for the app are pretty old; I think some of the problems cited in the reviews have been addressed. The initial download is 43 MB; however, if you want to be able to use it offline, such as on a camping trip or while out on a walk, you'll want to download the database, which brings the App size up to 111MB. (I got a popup telling me that I should download the DB to work offline, and the warning was that the DB was much larger than that; perhaps the warning is based on the size of other Audubon guides. My only complaint is that there isn't a "back" or "exit" button as part of the software, you have to use the Fire's side menu buttons. You can also use this as a journal of your sightings, but you must register with Green Mountain/Audubon. When I tried to do so, I got an error message that no server was available, though the app did let me create a sighting. I was unable to get back to the sightings after that, as I kept getting the error message when I attempted to sign in with the account I had created. I think it has a few bugs, but is definitely worth getting as part of the FAOTD. One can still look up animals with it. I've sent feedback to the developers about the error with creating an account.

29 of 40 reviews are four stars and above.

These apps are compatible with the original Fire and with my Fire HD 8.9" 4G. To tell if an app works for your Fire HD or other Android device registered to your Amazon account, click on the above link and look on the right side of the web page.  Amazon will tell you if it will work with your registered device.

Have fun!

Also check out the other digital deals from Amazon, including great deals on MP3s and videos:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment