Thursday, May 2, 2013

Kindle Fire Free App of the Day: Jump Desktop--remotely access your PC!

Today's Free App of the Day is Jump Desktop (RDP & VNC)
Originally $9.99


This is an app that lets you remotely access a desktop computer. The desktop component is available for both Macs and PCs. I tried it and overall, it works well and as expected. If you use the recommended install, setup is very quick and easy. You also have to install a VNC server app if you don't already have one installed (there's another kind of server app, but it didn't apply to me). This was also easy. You create a separate password for the VNC server. 

I do have a couple of comments. First, the recommended setup uses your Google account. I didn't particularly care for this, but there is a manual setup which requires more steps, but there are very specific step-by-step directions on the website. Since I have two step Google verification on my account, I used the Google method just to see how it worked. Note that if you have two-step turned on, you'll have to go to your account settings and set up a one-time use password, which can be revoked later if you decide this isn't for you. Second, one of the reviews mentions that items on the desktop were re-arranged after using. I don't have any items on my desktop on my Windows 8 computer (yet) but it did remove the wallpaper on my desktop. Easy enough to add back (right-click on the desktop to bring up the appropriate menu).

(Splashtop Remote Desktop was an earlier remote access app that was the Free App of the Day. I haven't used it in awhile, but I don't recall having problems with the desktop wallpaper or icons when using it. )

 On Google Play, Jump Desktop has 1440 reviews and an overall five star rating.

15 of 16 reviews for Jump Desktop are four stars and above.

These apps are compatible with the original Fire and with my Fire HD 8.9" 4G. To tell if an app works for your Fire HD or other Android device registered to your Amazon account, click on the above link and look on the right side of the web page.  Amazon will tell you if it will work with your registered device.

Have fun!

Also check out the other digital deals from Amazon, including great deals on MP3s and videos:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment